Abstract out a library?

Dec 27, 2007 at 5:51 PM
I've been looking for a while for a decent gallery2 library implemented in a .NET language, and was pretty excited to come across your project. However, it takes a while to successfully lift the networking functionality out of your application, because all the form code is interspersed with the networking code- Are there any plans to seperate the code out into GUI classes and library-style (e.g login, download and upload code) classes? I can guarantee it'd be a big hit...

Much appreciated.
-Alex
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2007 at 6:03 AM
Edited Dec 30, 2007 at 6:03 AM
Sorry - no current plans to perform that much abstraction. However, I would argue that the networking aspects are already fairly separated from the GUI code - the only files that you should need to do the networking tasks are Gallery2Interface.cs and wwHTTP.cs - it does not break things out into separte classes for each Gallery Remote function, but the Gallery2Interface class does have all of the Gallery INterface funcitons as separate public interfaces. There is business logic in the GUI code that could be separated out, but I chose to not do that in an attempt to keep things a bit simpler for me.
Developer
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:14 PM
Just to keep you guys informed:

I have taken the 0.9.2 code and did some heavy refactoring to separate the different layers and make the whole design a lot more OO. I have also put in some new features to make life more easy. Furthermore I made it a little bit more responsive by using some backgroundworkers. The code is not yet polished enough to drop here, but I just wanted to let you know that more guys are working on this :)

Added Features:
- automated setting caption/summary/description from exif/iptc/xmp/id3-tags using user-specified masks
- checks for default album-resize
- filling up more than one album at a time
- using nconvert for image-resizing/transformation. I did some tests and found that the result of nconvert where better. I also liked the wide support of different formats (If you want to, you can still use the dotnet-code, made nice interface for it)

Not really a feature but worth mentioning; I reworked the GUI a bit and used some icons here and there to make it look more nice

Downside: I broke some stuff - still have to fix that.

As for the gallery2 library implementation: Take a look at this:
http://www.koders.com/csharp/fid53225A84BA5D72085066C336F8370338D8B59264.aspx
Note however that the protocol might not always follow the documentation...

Kind regards,

Sander
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2008 at 7:03 AM

Sander - I would be happy to "officially" add you as a contributor to the project. If you are interested, drop me a line at pix2gallery2 at dinklocker dot com. Then you can put together patches of your changes with the Code Plex Client, which make life a ton easier for me to integrate and do new releases.

Ted